Accord V6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mr. Detail
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I really need an intake? Or just toss in a K&N panel filter and duct the air from the opening in the bumper to the airbox? Kind of like that the intake noise increase wasn't too much, just enough to give it a nice growl. Most of the gain seems to be from 5000 to redline.

BTW, getting the box out was a real pain, had to cut the tube going into the top of it to get it out. Left the intake tube under the battery in place, couldn't get it out, didn't feel like pulling the battery box to get enough clearance.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I did almost what you're talking about. I was able to get the airbox out through the fender well with a little twisting, turning, and pulling. I agree it sounds a little better though I'm skeptical about how much of a gain if any it provided. Here's the thread where I got the idea and it includes a picture of my result:

Cold Air Intake Question - Drive Accord Honda Forums

·
Mr. Detail
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've also switched to premium fuel (93 octane here) so probably a combination of both. But there definitely is a difference, similar to the GAB (gutted air box) mod so popular on 2000-2003 Maximas. One dyno run showed a 9 hp gain, about what a short ram gives on the VQ35.

The resonator is pretty big and the air has to take a convoluted route to get from where it is drawn from, then down, into the resonator (which is baffled internally), then back up and into the air box. Right now, I have the tube that went from the air box into the resonator still attached to the air box so air is being drawn in through the fender and not the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
welcome to the forum Scottwax. I see you have a new hobby instead of just detailing haha. I'm also on a lot of the detailing forums your on.

·
Mr. Detail
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Working on cars is an old hobby for me, started with the Chevelle I bought in high school.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put in a drop in K&N in my 05 V6spd, and it helped make the roar of the motor come out. I don't know about any horsepower gains though...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I figure if you tear out the resonator and drop in a KN filter, it would work the same. Only thing is the restriction between the filter and throttle body

·
James
1,094 Posts
I took out the resonator after I had already installed the K/N Short Ram because there's no point in having it in there. Its a useless chunk of plastic.

·
Mr. Detail
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jconnway I think he is thinking of keeping his OEM intake, just ripping out the resonator
That's exactly what I did, shorter path for air into the engine and a bit more intake growl. Same with my '02 Maximas, but that was mostly out of necessity. No one makes a true cold air intake for them anymore. Just drill 1" holes in the top of the filter holder and get free horsepower, about the same as a short ram gets.

·
James
1,094 Posts
Getting an actual CAI, or even a short ram, is definitely more efficient than simply removing the resonator.

For $ saving though, you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was able to get mine out by opening the splash guard panels around the left wheel, with that wheel taken off that is. I didn't remove the battery either.

·
Mr. Detail
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Made a short roll-on acceleration video to show how the car sound with the resonator removed. Probably not as loud as a CAI or short ram but at least I can hear the engine now!

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
you used oem filter right? the K&n lets in too much dirt. You can actually see light passing through the media

·
Mr. Detail
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, still have the OEM filter.

·
James
1,094 Posts

worth it to remove IMO. its unnecessary weight, restriction on the engine... useless part

·
Registered
843 Posts
03-05 V6 MT (Coupe):

03-05 V6 AT:

06-07 V6 AT/MT (ALL):

I removed everything in the last pic on my car; the engine is noticeably louder, however, I cannot compare it anything since I've never owned a CAI/SRI. I believe Honda engineered a mild horn shape into the stock intake tube design...

Velocity Stack (Wikipedia)

·
James
1,094 Posts
^^thats pretty interesting, but if you do an intake, your not gonna hear any change in sound when you take out the resonator

1 - 20 of 26 Posts